Saturday, March 31, 2007

UK Media Player is nearing first public release

I've been trying to fix all those zillion bugs found in UK Media Player preview versions 1 through 14.

Now I'm no longer hearing reports. I don't know whether that is a good thing or a bad thing.

What I do know, is that the most popular version is still preview 9 with 305 downloads, while the latest version, 14, is not that far behind with 194 downloads. The versions have been changing so quickly that I don't wonder at all that not all people have the time (or even have noticed) that a newer versions have shipped each day (well, more like twice or three times a day).

I just released preview version 16. It includes Shuffle functionality. It's not a fully working shuffle, although not far from it - next version will include fully working shuffle. Anyway, have a look at the current layout (yeah, Arctic Monkeys totally rock - buy their album now!):




Shuffle icon is a bit too big at the moment, I'll scale it down a bit in the future and maybe move it to a different place. I tried to make it nicely big so that it would be easy to press with a finger. But even a slightly smaller one would probably do.

By the way, did you know that you can use arrow up and down in both views. In album list view (the one with many albums), it scrolls down a line of albums and in the album contents view, it moves do display the songs of the next album. Oh, and left and right arrows move to next / previous song and middle button is play/pause. Top + and - buttons will control volume once I get that working. Full screen button does what it's supposed to do.

Anyway, for those interested in roadmaps, here is my intended schedule, which may be overly cautions, but it's better that way than the other way around.
- shuffle (this weekend - final fixes)
- Release 1.0 final (next week)
- volume control (within a week - if someone helps me with gstreamer calls for this)
- Chinese letter support (within a week - if possible easily)
- experimental ogg support (within two weeks)
- Party list (within two weeks - man, I'd love to have this sooner)
- Play lists (within a month)
- upnp support (experimental within a month)

Bugs are welcome to garage project:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mediaconverter/

No comments:

Post a Comment