Friday, August 03, 2007

UKMP 1.51 combined with updated UKTUBE

UKMP 1.50 release was a bit hasty one and I missed a few real annoyances. Well, 1.51 version is a bug fix version and should fix the most critical bugs.

1. Clicking in the album works ACTUALLY selects the album you clicked on and not the one above or below it. (Yeah, how did I miss that? I have no idea)
2. If you have less that 16 albums, song list allows you to scroll (It actually didn't allow you to scroll in 1.50)
3. 1.51 consumes almost 0 processor time when idling. Previous version only went to energy saving when it was doing something and went to full 100% power use when it was idle. Just a small mistake of using == instead of != in one place... An example of why not code after midnight.
4. Because of the number three, smooth scrolling is smoother, as it's not in processor saving mode when it's scrolling ;)
5. Press and hold back button to close the app works.


All right. So, it's in a usable state now. I've been using 1.51 for a few days now for listening hours and hours of music and it seems stable and a joy to use. Next version will have exit button and optimized startup time.


UKTUBE has also been updated to support logging into youtube account as well as it tells you if a download fails instead of crashing. Most of the time if a download fails, it's because there is a age check in youtube. Just insert your login credentials to uktube to le uktube to login and tell youtube that your are not underaged.

Next uktube version will store the credentials and I will probably clean up the interface a bit.


You can download the latest version of UKMP and UKTUBE from here:
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/ukmp

and remember that you need to have python and mplayer installed. If you don't have them, install them first from here:
Python
mplayer

12 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just have tested this new version - and it is REALLY NICE. Thank you very much.

    Can you please check the redrawing during switching between audio and video view? It seems that there is a small bug.
    Everything is OK if I use the icons on the left but it seems to be strange if I use the "Back" button: the video thumbnails remain on their places and audio thumbnails are drawn over them.
    This problem of course appears only if one has a very few audio and video files on the device (which is case of my Nokia 770).

    By the way: do you plan to show a volume level or a battery status on the screen? It might be nice.

    Best regards,
    Jiri Brozovsky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was running 1.5 (and now 1.51) with two 8 GB card and it worked nicely few times. Now it just closes, before starting. Internal media player works nicely. Any ideas, whats wrong here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous02:40

    tested uktube on my 770. works fine if i leave it alone when downloading.

    but it really should have some indicator for when its done on "download only". right now i cant tell if it has stoped, stalled, or ran out of space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous01:28

    Hmm, I just noticed that the icons for video files (a round CDROM) look like they're being scaled slightly. If you look at the edge of the "disc", you can see a couple of disjoint spots in the curve, like it's a 128x128 icon being scaled to 127x127, or vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PPaFin,

    that happened to me when I upgraded too. I deleted the "covers" directory on my card. Run ukmp in terminal to see where the error really is. You might have to reformat your card like I did. Now everything works fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jiří,

    is there anyway to include a2dp support like the Kagu player? I know it eats cpu like mad. But to be able to listen to music without that damn oem earbuds would be cool as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've asked already on the maemo-garage, but it does not seems monitored.
    Scrolling does not work for me at all. Just nothing happens. Not if I touch screen, not if I use buttons. Just no way to scroll. Why can it be?

    Thanks,
    Valery Tolkov.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unlike the previous one, the new version works. Scrolling is not kinetic, though, but it works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have noticed that UKMP crashes on my 770 when it attempts to play my .ogg files. Audio player plays them fine, with ogg support plugin (http://maemo.org/downloads/product/ogg/); UKMP picks up the files when it scans the memory, but crashes when it attempts to play them. Any chance of getting ogg support, including cover art?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous07:09

    Hi,

    UKMP doesn't start with OS2007on770 / OS200/HE.

    I tried to start it from xterm with "python /usr/bin/MediaCenter.py". That shows text "dsp_protocol_open_node(): Could not open pcm device file /dev/dsptask/pcm3"
    and then "Fatal Python error: (pygame parachute) Segmentation Fault".

    There seems to be only pcm0, pcm1, and pcm2 in /dev/dsptask in this device.

    Is this an error in python package?

    ReplyDelete
  11. pcm3 error is described in this bug:
    https://garage.maemo.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=702&group_id=164&atid=681

    There is also a fix for your problem on that page.

    There is a little discussion on the subject here:
    http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8073&page=8&highlight=pcm3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous01:52

    Thanks for Alsa pcm3 error fix pointers. The correction looks simple and I already installed leafpad to do the edit. However it seems that getting root permissions (Enable RD mode if you want to break your device) requires me to reflash the device :^(

    I wish there would be simple deb packages to correct bugs in OS2007HE.

    ReplyDelete